Fan-made games

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by The, Feb 25, 2017.

1. The

The Master of the House Staff Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I was browsing back over the fan-made Star Wars Battlefront going on recently. EA recently(ish) had them shut down over copyright infringement, but it got me thinking. What other fan-made games are there out there? I know some of the biggest online titles were originally formed from mods of other games (DOTA rings a bell maybe? Can anyone confirm that?). Does anyone here play fan-made games? Anyone here even made a fan game? :emoji_yum:

2. FrodoSweggins

FrodoSweggins

Jan 2, 2017
    Not sure about Dota, but at least one of Valve's other titles started as a Half-Life mod, and that was Counter-Strike.

As far as fan-made games go, as long as no one is profiting off of the game in any way, shape, or form and doesn't use too much intellectual property, then a company just looks bad shutting it down. Nintendo comes to mind here; they're constantly shutting down fan-made games that are made purely for fans, by fans. It's unfortunate and all they get from it is the loss of loyal fans, but they're allowed and even encouraged by copyright law to fiercely protect any and all content that they can say is theirs.

3. Owen

Owen Only Slightly Useless Staff Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thinking about it, hasn't of Values major 5 IP originally been fan made. If what Col is true that would mean that Counter-Strike and Portal where fan made