Urgent Welcome!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by The, Jan 2, 2017.

1. The

The Master of the House Staff Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Welcome to Gravity!
    Almost a year of work, several thousand* bottles of a staff member's favourite soft drink (* estimate) and one entire database loss. Gravity's certainly been through a journey...

Back when the original general discussion Gravity was closed, things weren't looking good. The staff just had no time to focus on it, and there were a number of other problems which were addressed in Ferby's final messages before shutting it down. But even back then all the staff wanted to bring it back. I must admit, I wasn't very hopeful at the time - how could we possibly bring it back to something that was actually good? Surprisingly enough, we persevered, and here we are now!

Gravity has once again returned, now focusing on the gaming niche, and with a completely restructured site. The forum software we are now based upon is XenForo, offering so much customisation that we weren't even sure what to do with it all. This more modern platform is a dream to run in comparison to ZetaBoards, which has been plagued by the same bugs and annoyances for years. Now we get full mobile support as the themes are responsive, and modifications can be written for the backend as well as the front. It all sounds pretty technical, and I must admit that a lot of it is - being new to us all probably doesn't help either though!

Unfortunately, this change also meant a retirement of one of our great staff members, Scott (Ferby). He has left from the staff team to focus on his real life, and we wish him the best of luck with his adventures. Maybe he will be able to return soon. To replace him, I (The) stepped in to take charge. Hopefully under my guidance, Gravity can continue to grow in the way that Ferby first initiated me to. I mainly focus on the staff team, listening to members, and fixing the backend from an admin view, so if you have any questions, I'm a pretty broad ranging person to answer them (since I'm also the founder, then that might be a good reason too :emoji_wink: ). Alongside me, I have Kieran, that Scottish dude from way up in...you guessed it, Scotland! He's been our investor and does a lot of the backend server side stuff, so be sure to thank him for being there. Finally we have Owen, who apparently sounds "awfully British". Luckily, he's around to just get on with general things here and there.

Now you're here. Yes, you. I'd like to thank you for either coming back to us as a returning member, or welcome you in as a new one. We do appreciate any kind of contribution. Anyway, before you jump straight in there, I'd like to suggest you read all the information topics. Most of them are quite short anyway. The first place I'd start is here: http://gravityforum.net/forums/questions-and-suggestions.3/ where our general Rules are particularly important. In that forum you can also ask any questions you may have, or report any errors. I should note that whilst we've attempted to get everything ready, we recently had a large database problem, and this is all new to us anyway: there may be a few teething problems, so please let us know ASAP and we can get them fixed for you.

That's all from me in this opening post, so all I have to say is Thank You. Thank you for your patience, thank you for returning, thank you (in advance) for being amazing individuals within our community.

James (The)

Copy Cat Master, zbug and tazdevil1 like this.
  2. tazdevil1

tazdevil1

Jan 2, 2017
    You're welcome. :emoji_wink:

But in all seriousness, I'd like to say that I am thrilled by the return of Gravity. A personal belief of mine is that experiences gained throughout online communities can shape and mound our very identity. It's been an eye opening journey for me ever since I first joined Gravity, and I am glad that I have learned a few valuable lessons along the way. It's cliché perhaps, but I'd like to say that Gravity has played a major part in shaping my life. On the surface, it may not be as obvious, but recently I have come to realize that without Gravity, my view of the world would be quite different.

Alas, this is not the time to dwell on the past. I'd like to correct myself earlier when I said that this was the return of Gravity. This isn't a return of the old Gravity, it's something different, and dare I say that it has the makings of something truly special.

As I write this, the new year has just passed and we're ushering in the year 2017. And so, I'd like to make my mark on my first post here on Gravity with a few parting words.

Appreciate what you have, live life to the fullest and leave no regrets.

-Taz

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    The likes this.
  3. zbug

zbug Frogs

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks for all your hard work! Glad to see gravityforum running again! :emoji_relaxed:

The likes this.
  4. Copy Cat Master

Copy Cat Master

Jan 2, 2017
    We shall make gravityforum.net great again!

The and zbug like this.
  5. Owen

Owen Only Slightly Useless Staff Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Yay, the staff on this website are amazing! :rolleyes: I'm in no ways bias or anything

The likes this.
  6. tazdevil1

tazdevil1

Jan 2, 2017
    Eh, shouldn't this be labeled as important instead of urgent? :emoji_yum:

zbug likes this.
  7. The

The Master of the House Staff Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I figured this should be the first post people should be reading. Honestly, it doesn't matter enough to warrant a change anyway.